PLEASE slow down a little bit, and take it more serious
First of all: I love ClickUp. This is the best task management / productivity app I’ve ever used. And I’ve used a lot. I’ve moved our whole company to ClickUp, which means about 50 people and 60-70 software development projects. We heavily rely on you. I’ve chosen you over TargetProcess, Jira, OpenProject, Monday, Trello and so on… Which is a big win for you. But! Please take one or two month without any new features, and make the app more robust, reliable, and faster. It feels like, every 1 change you make bring 2 more bugs in the app. In the last few days it was very very frustrating. ClickUp was so slow, the text you were writing in the description is literally just disappeared… And we constantly have bugs, for example: Sometimes we cannot create tasks normally ( https://clickup.canny.io/bugs/p/cannot-create-task-error-popup-parent-not-found-code-content003 , https://clickup.canny.io/bugs/p/newly-created-task-does-not-show-in-list , https://clickup.canny.io/bugs/p/tasks-disappear-when-newly-added , https://clickup.canny.io/bugs/p/not-updating-list ). This is just essential stuff. I’v recorded a video months ago. Other people also reporting this bug. Time reporting STILL shows the WRONG numbers ( https://clickup.canny.io/bugs/p/time-reporting-bug ). Which should be an important feature. You screwed up time tracking after adding new features ( https://clickup.canny.io/feature-requests/p/bring-back-the-calendar-to-time-tracker ). One of the most important feature! You closed the bug, but automations are still unreliable ( https://clickup.canny.io/bugs/p/automations-are-often-unreliable ). Which a lot of people rely on. From one day to another custom field automations are just broken ( https://clickup.canny.io/bugs/p/cannot-create-automations-for-custom-fields ). Timesheet has arrived which was great, but it still shows the wrong hours per day ( https://clickup.canny.io/bugs/p/time-sheet-wrong-hours-per-day ) It has rounding issue ( https://clickup.canny.io/bugs/p/time-sheet-rounding-error ) We cannot export them ( https://clickup.canny.io/bugs/p/time-sheet-export-bug ) So PLEASE!!! Stop making new features every day. Fix these bugs, and make the app more reliable! We won’t go anywhere if you don’t make 129 new features for the next 2 months. But we will, if the app constantly delivers new bugs, and strange behavior. And last, but not least: I love ClickUp. This is why I’m writing this. Thank you!
Harvest/ClickUp integration not working
Several people on our team are having issues with the Harvest/ClickUp integration - we click the Harvest icon in a CU task and get ... nothing. We are all working in the web platform (desktop app stopped working for us months ago).
Automations Inconsistency. Sometimes not triggering at all
I just performed an action that should have triggered an automation on 4 tasks. So far only 1 has triggered. It's been 5 minutes already. This is a critical issue because now I simply don't know whether the automation is eventually going to happen, or whether it has completely failed on the other 3 tasks. So what do I do? Try again? Delete the tasks and try again? I could have performed the actions manually 10 times over by now, so what's the point?
New tasks disappearing temporarily
I cannot believe we are still having these type of issues... added a subtask and it simply vanished. Added another subtask and the previous one re-appeared... Is this going to be fixed by your "3.0" rollout?
Auto-Refresh (Views/Task updates/etc do not appear until page refresh)
Some sort of periodic refresh would be helpful. I'm using the Mac app. If I leave it one day and come back the next day, nothing has updated. ie; if a task used to be due "tomorrow" it still shows "tomorrow" until I refresh manually by clicking something, then it will show as "today" I'd love to just have it constantly up to date without needing a manual refresh.
Subtask Order is all random again
In List View. No Sorting and no Order applied. Subtasks Expanded underneath parent tasks. As far as I can tell it happened in every list.
Server Error action code ACCESS_064
When trying to open a list of tasks or a task itself, sometimes the list does not appear and an error is shown at the bottom of the screen. This happens for multiple users and for separate internet connections. It happens often enough to slow down our workflow quite a bit
cleared notifications too slow
Takes too long to load up cleared notifications. E.g. if you clear one per accident can't quickly go undo that.
Refresh Rate Is Super Slow
I have used ClickUp MacOS App and on Chrome Tab the refresh rate of the software is extremely slow. When licking between tasks / projects or even simply adding a comments, the app starts to refresh and take 2-3 secs to reload the desired section. It's kinda infuriating. Ill bring my team back to this app once this issue is resolved. For now i have moved on.